Delivering effective services, enterprising solutions and exemplary homes and communities.


Mutual Exchange

Residents who hold a secure or assured tenancy often find the quickest way to move is by a mutual exchange.  This is when at least two housing association or council tenants exchange homes.

Residents can register on websites such as  or to search for someone to exchange with.

Before any exchange can go ahead, all the tenants involved must obtain permission from their landlord.  To get permission the properties should be in a good order and the rent accounts up to date and the swap should not make either of the properties overcrowded or underoccupied. Tenants who exchange their home must accept the other property in the condition it is in and take on any repairs that the outgoing tenant was responsible for.

For further information please contact the Lettings Team

Mutual Exchange guidance note

Mutual Exchange Policy Statement 

Homeswapper advice sheet - Include photos

Homeswapper advice sheet - Top 10 tips

Please complete this form if you are looking to undertake a mutual exchange. 

Residents toolbox


© Swan Housing Group 2012

Powered by Umbraco

Website by Frontmedia