Shared Ownership

Hand holding house keys

We want to help as many people to get on the property ladder as possible and have a place that they can call their own. If you cannot afford 100% of a mortgage, Shared Ownership offers a great way to get on the property ladder.

Shared Ownership is an affordable home ownership scheme that makes it easier for first time buyers to buy their first home. You buy a share of your home (between 25% and 75% of the home’s value) and pay rent on the remaining share. For example, if you buy 25% share of the property, you’ll pay rent on the remaining 75%. Swan would own a percentage of your home but you live in the home and you can decorate it and decide when to sell. Buying a percentage means a smaller deposit and smaller mortgage. Later on, you can buy bigger shares when you can afford to. It is usual to carry on buying shares until you own it 100%.

Who Can Buy With Shared Ownership?

Generally speaking:

  • Your household income needs to be under £80,000 (£90,000 in London)
  • You can’t be the owner of another property
  • You’ll need to show that you have a good credit history and can afford the regular payments and costs involved in buying a house
  • You should have savings or be able to out down at least 5-10% deposit on the share of the property you’re buying

For new build Shared Ownership contact: 0203 675 9933 or email sharedownership@nuliving.co.uk

For older re-sale Shared Ownership contact the Leasehold Team: 0300 303 2500 or email leaseholdmailbox@swan.org.uk