Delivering effective services, enterprising solutions and exemplary homes and communities.


Benefit Advice

Benefits Advice

Our Welfare Benefit Team is here to help provide advice and support to help you navigate your way through the benefit system. During April 2015 - March 2016 we helped our residents to gain an extra £749,459 in benefits that they may not have received otherwise.

We can help you to provide advice and assistance specific to your circumstances about applying for Welfare Benefits or direct you to other agencies that may be able to assist.

We will help you to identify unclaimed benefits, assist you in claiming if necessary and when appropriate we will represent you at appeal tribunals. Our officer can provide support and information about the changes to the Benefit system due to the Welfare Reform including the Social Size, Benefit Cap and Universal Credit.

The online Benefits calculator below can be used to work out state benefit entitlement.  Residents can input their household details and income and the calculator will provide details of which benefits could be claimed.

Benefits calculator:

For further information on benefit entitlement contact us on 0300 303 2500 or email

Help with your rent

Residents on a low income may be entitled to Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit that could pay all, or part of their rent. These benefits must always be applied for separately as it is not automatically payable, even for those already in receipt of other benefits.

Whether you need to claim Universal Credit or Housing benefit will depend on where you live. You can can check if you are in a Universal Credit area by using the following postcode checker:

Although we can assist, individuals are responsible for claiming any welfare benefits they could be entitled to. Residents should claim any benefits quickly and are responsible for reporting any changes in their circumstances.

It is important to remember that any rent not covered by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit must be paid when due.
A claim for Housing Benefit can be made through the Local Authority were you live or by visiting their website.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you must contact the DWP to claim help with your Housing Costs.

For more information about Universal Credit, please see this short animation

If you are new to Universal Credit, please see this short animation

If you would like an explanation of the process once you have been offered a Universal credit advance, please see this short animation

Residents toolbox


© Swan Housing Association 2018. All rights reserved. Company no. 28496R. VAT No. 713 9515 35
Registered address: Pilgrim House, High Street, Billericay, Essex CM12 9XY.
Regulated by: Regulator of Social Housing.

T: 0300 303 2500

Website by Frontmedia