We are committed to ensuring that the services within our homes are safe and we are required by law to carry out a safety check on all gas heating and hot water systems at least once a year.
This helps us identify any potential problems with gas appliances and helps us prevent potentially lethal gas problems. A faulty gas appliance can produce carbon monoxide, which is a toxic gas. You can't see it, you can't smell or taste it, but carbon monoxide can kill without warning.
All gas appliances must be checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer and it is essential that this work is completed on time. Residents with a gas central heating or hot water system will receive an appointment once a year from Axis to service the applicances we have supplied. If, after repeated attempts, we are unable to gain access we will take legal action to force entry and ensure that the legally required service takes place. When this happens residents will be liable for all the costs incurred.
Gas leaks - If you smell gas:
- Put out any cigarettes
- Never use a match or naked flame to find the leak
- Never use any electrical switches
- Open all the doors and windows
- Check if a gas tap has been left on or a pilot light has blown out
- If you think there is a leak, turn off the gas at the meter and immediately call 0800 111 999
- Only use Gas Safe Registered contractors and fitters.
- Never try a do-it-yourself repair on any gas pipe or appliance - you could be breaking the law and putting yourself and others at risk.
- Never block sources of ventilation, such as air-bricks or obstruct flues.
- Always follow the user instructions on any gas appliance.