World Environment Day 2021
Since 1974, World Environment Day has been celebrated every year on 5 June, encouraging governments, businesses and the general public to address pressing environmental issues. Each year, it is hosted by a different country in which official celebrations take place. This year is Pakistan.
This year’s theme is ‘ecosystem restoration’ – a chance to help restore what has already been damaged from forests to farmland, from land to sea.
Did you know?
- Every three seconds, the world loses enough forest to cover a football pitch.
- Over the last century we have destroyed half of our wetlands.
- As much as 50% of our coral reefs have already been lost and up to 90%of coral reefs could be lost by 2050
When it comes to loving the planet, everyone can get involved. From individuals thinking about the way they consume, to larger businesses such as ours developing greener ways of working. Here at Swan, we already have our green thinking caps on; we’re constantly finding new ways of doing things so that we can improve lives. Every Day. Beginning to take steps towards protecting our planet.
Environmental performance has always been important to us, from building our first zero carbon homes in Basildon around 15 years ago, through to our latest modular homes which are carbon negative for the first two years of their lives, we have already been looking at ways of giving back to the environment. Using modern methods of construction across many of our new homes we are already:
- Reducing carbon by up to 40% compared to traditional construction.
- Reducing construction waste by up to 90% compared to traditional construction.
Plus, to date we have:
- Removed 6,295 tonnes of CO2 from the earth’s atmosphere through the removal of trees grown to produce our cross laminated timber.
- Regrown the same number of trees in just 84 minutes on a sunny day.
To find out more about how you can love the planet and become part of #generationrestoration, visit https://www.worldenvironmentday.global/