E-bike fire safety warning
We’re reminding our customers to store e-bikes safely following a warning issued by the London Fire Brigade.
Firefighters have attended nearly 40 fires recently involving e-bikes / e-scooters.
The Fire Service has explained that when batteries and chargers on e-bikes fail, fires can rapidly, and the situation can quickly become incredibly serious.
- Customers must never store e-bikes or e-scooters in communal areas.
- Never block your escape route with anything, including bikes and scooters. Store them somewhere away from a main through route.
- Always use the correct charger for the product and buy an official one from a reputable seller.
- Batteries can get warm during their use and it is advisable to allow them to cool down before attempting to re-charge as they could be more susceptible to failure.
- Batteries should always be charged on hard flat surfaces where heat can disappear.
- Batteries can also pose a risk if they have been damaged, so try to ensure they are not getting knocked around while in use or while being carried as spares, as this can increase the chance of damage to cells.
- You should always make sure you unplug your charger once it’s finished charging. Always follow manufacturers’ instructions when charging and we would advise not to leave it unattended or while people are asleep.
- Ensure smoke alarms are fitted in areas where e-bikes or e-scooters are being charged and make sure they are tested regularly.