Gas Safety

Photo of a lit gas hob

Every year people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by poorly installed and maintained gas appliances. 

When gas doesn't burn properly carbon monoxide is produced, which is poisonous.

You can't see, taste or smell it, but carbon monoxide can kill in a matter of hours.

If you rent your home from us, Axis will write to you two months before your annual gas safety inspection is due.

This ensures one of their gas registered engineers can complete the safety inspection before your existing gas safety certificate expires. 

Customers must provide access to allow us to complete this gas safety inspection. Failure to do so will result in us seeking a court warrant for entry, the costs of which will be passed onto you.

Leaseholder's responsibilities

If you are a leaseholder or shared owner, you must keep your gas appliances in good condition. You should appoint a registered Gas Safe engineer to do an annual gas safety inspection of any gas appliances in your home.

You can find a qualified gas engineer in your area by searching the Gas Safe Register.

Once you have completed your annual check, please email a copy of your certificate to  Leaseholdteam@swan.org.uk

If you suspect there is a gas leak:

  • open all doors and windows straight away
  • shut off the gas supply at the mains (a large lever usually next to the gas meter)
  • call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • Don't smoke, light matches, lighters or cigarettes
  • don't turn electric switches on or off.

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak:

  • open all doors and windows straight away
  • shut off the gas supply at the mains (a large lever usually next to the gas meter)
  • call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • contact us so we can arrange for a safety inspection.

If you or your family have any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, seek urgent medical advice.

Remember you should never:

  • use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly
  • cover an appliance with anything
  • block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grilles or airbricks
  • block or cover outside flues.

For more information on staying gas safe click here.  

Carbon monoxide – know the danger signs

The signs to look out for include:

  • yellow or orange flames (except for fuel effect fires) - flames should normally be blue
  • soot or stains around the appliance
  • pilot lights that frequently go out.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • tiredness
  • drowsiness
  • headache
  • nausea
  • chest pains
  • stomach pains.

These symptoms are similar to many common ailments and may easily be confused with flu or simple tiredness.

If you suspect you or someone else is suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide, you should switch off any fuel burning appliances and seek urgent medical help straight away.

For more information, visit: